Monday, August 22, 2011

A Day in the Life

Not Back to School Blog Hop


I have decided to link up with the Not Back to School Homeschool Blog.  Today we are posting about a day in the life of our homeschooling family.  What a great idea.  When people find out that I homeschool, one of the first questions is "What is your day like?"  So here is the answer!

6:30 - This is what time I have been getting up to run, have a quiet time, and get ready for the day.  This is kinda new for me, but I really enjoy it.  It is nice to get up and get moving before anyone else in the house!

8:00 - The kids are usually up by now or getting up.  They eat some breakfast and lounge around.

9:00 - School starts.  We start the day with my older boys doing History, Bible, Poem study, and Science with me.  Little man is either just now eating breakfast or playing the Wii.  When the weather cools down, I am sure that he will be outside.

10:00 - The bigger boys do their "clipboard" or independent work.  This includes math facts, handwriting, Daily Oral Langugae, and some reading comprehension exercises.  During this time, I am doing History, Bible, Science and Read Aloud with little man.

11:00- Little man does his "clipboard" work.  His usually has handwriting, math facts, and some math problem solving.  One older boy does his reading assignment for the day.  The other older boy is with me for Grammar lesson, dictation, and Math lesson.  Then we switch!

12:00 - LUNCH!!!!  WooHoo!!!  They usually do this too . . . 

1:00 - This is when I do the older boys read aloud.  Little man sits in while I read.  Then the older boys do their math assignments.  One is using Saxon and one is using Teaching Textbooks.  I am doing phonics, reading, math, and spelling with little man.

2:00 - We are done!!!!

Keep in mind that often times (okay, most of the time), our day doesn't truly work out in perfect hour increments.  There is plenty of time for much needed play breaks.  I mean they are boys for goodness sake!  Also, some days we add in some extras (geography, critical thinking skills, art).  At the end of this month, they are going to be starting a homeschool p.e. class every Wednesday from 1:00-4:00.  So that will mix things up a bit!  But, for the most part, this is how our days go!

2 comments:

  1. I have been getting up earlier too and I love it!

    Your pool is beautiful!

    It's so hard for me to say how our day will go, because it is always different.

    Sounds like you have a great schedule though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails