Tuesday, August 31, 2010

This Season

I just so happen to be in a very busy season of life.  I keep telling myself that.  Waiting for it to comfort me when I start freaking out about all the stuff I have to get done.  It does comfort me.  I know that I will not be this busy forever.  Really, just for a month or two.  (Then I will get a few weeks break before basketball season, and then no break at all before spring ball season starts, and on and on and on, but I digress.)  Anyway, I have three kids playing on three different teams but they all have just about the same schedule.  My twins have always played the same sport until this season.  One is playing football and one is playing baseball.  Literally, three days this week I have found myself needing (and wanting) to be in three different places at the same time.  It's hard.  I feel bad that I can't be at everyone's everything.  My mom (and husband - duh) has been a huge help and I realize how lucky I am to have family around, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to be everywhere with everybody. 

Here is my calendar for September as of yesterday.  Already two more practices have been added to the schedule for Thursday (the 2nd).  Also, an eye dr.'s appt. (finally) and I'm sure more will be added before this week ends.

I am a control freak.  I want to do everything my way (because um, clearly my way is the best way).  I have to learn during these busy days to let go.  But I truly hate letting go of family dinner time.  I love it.  I look forward to it, but that is nearly impossible with everyone leaving the house around 4:30 and arriving back at home somewhere around 7:30.  This week, I have cooked supper at um, 3:30 or so, put it in the refrigerator and everyone is nuking their dinner whenever they get home.  It works.  At least we are not eating a bunch of junk, but we are not all together.  I hate having to let that go. 

What's that? 

I don't? 

My sweet friend/mentor Lori jokingly told me that her son, Dawson, doesn't really think family dinner time is all that important.  He thinks it would be great to have family BREAKFAST time.  Well, guess what?!  We homeschool and dh works for himself so no one is rushing out the door in the mornings.  Why haven't I been doing this?  Usually, the kids eat something while I clean the kitchen/get ready for school/etc. and honestly, my poor husband eats whatever he fixes for himself.  Bless him.  Anyway, so during this season of life (or at least the next month or so) we might not be having family dinners but we will be having family breakfast time.


When I made pancakes on Monday morning, I doubled the recipe and wrapped the leftovers up and put them in the freezer.  Next time we are having pancakes during family breakfast it will be super easy because they are already made!

Got any great tips that your family uses during your busy seasons?  If so, I would love to hear them!!!


3 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea, Elaine!!! You rock!!

    I'd love to do something like that, but my hubby has a pretty long commute and leaves early.

    Your calendar makes me tired just looking at it!! You are right, though, it is just for a season! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try wheat bread peanut butter sandwhich (PB only), soak in french toast mix (eggs, milk, vanilla, tiny tiny bit sugar) for a few minutes, and cook in a waffle iron. If you don't have a waffle iron cook it in a skillet, but cover it for a few minutes so you get the egg good and cooked in there. Deeeelicious and good morning protein. Keeps you filled up for a long time!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails