Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Whole Bunch of Nothingness

I can't believe that spring break is over!  What did I do?  I surely didn't do any blogging (obviously).  I really didn't do much cleaning.  I mean, where did the time go?  You all will be happy to know that I only had the boys do one math lesson over the break.  I didn't turn nice or anything, it just so happened that they were out of town Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  I couldn't convince them to do a math lesson on Friday because we never do a math lesson on Fridays.  Anyway, the kids had a great time on their mini vacation to my mom's river house.  They loved walking through the woods with their Papa Spot, riding bikes, and just hanging out.  However, the highlight had to be the catfish that they caught.  Hayden talks a big talk, but he wouldn't even touch the thing.  I can't really talk about him because I wasn't about to get close to it, much less touch it!

The first thing that I did when the kids went out of town was head over to the library.  I love that place.  It is quiet and everybody minds his/her own business.  When I got home, I felt the need to go through all of the kids' books.  I used to be a teacher so I have been collecting children's books FOREVER.  Our books were spread all over the house.  Some were in bedrooms, some were in the playroom, and some were in random closets.  I didn't even get into all of my chapter books that are currently being stored in the attic.  Anyway, all the picture books are now located on one bookshelf in the playroom.  I really wanted to post a picture of my project, but I could not get the picture to rotate and who wants to crane their neck sideways just to see a picture of a very organized bookshelf full of books?!

We had some absolutely beautiful weather on Friday!  The whole family was outside ALL DAY!  It was fantastic.  I even got a little sun on this very pale skin of mine.


The trees alongside our driveway are in bloom and look just beautiful so I had to share a picture:


Unfortunately, the weather turned rainy and cold today.  This is what our day looked like today:



While the kids laid around and enjoyed the last day of spring break, I got busy planning for our upcoming school week.  I write everything out for the week in a teacher plan book.  After the item is completed, I highlight the assignment.  This helps me to easily see what did and did not get done during the week.  The plans in my plan book are not detailed, just "Lesson 130," etc.  I don't take the time to write down everything that we are going to do for that lesson.  Who has the time or the space for that?  I am sure some super organized mom out there, but um, not me! 


Here is what the lesson plan book looks like at the end of the week:


One of the sections in the plan book says clip board work.  This is the work that the boys do independently, well pretty much independently.  It usually involves phonics (ETC), DOL, math patterns, a journal entry, and handwriting.  This week has some practice test stuff (for the upcoming standardized test).  I think in this picture it is practicing synonyms. 


That pretty much sums up our spring break.  That and baseball!  The jamboree was on Saturday.  Hayden did great, but his team lost.  (In our defense, the other team got 3 at bats and we only got 2 - I'm just saying.)  His game was at 1:00.  Had to be at the ballpark at 12:00 and left around 2:30.  D & D had a double header at 7:00 and 8:00.  We had to be at the park at 6:00.  Of course, the games were running late and we didn't leave until 10:15.  Drew and Dalton did great.  Their team won the first game, but lost the second.  I think they were simply worn out!  I mean that is late for a bunch of 2nd graders!
Anyway, I hope I will be able to do a little more blogging this week.  However, I have to make time to read my book for book club.  It meets on Thursday and I am on like page 40.  Um, not good.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a really, really nice Spring break. I love the photo of your trees in bloom, beautiful! I was very interested in your plan book and clipboard work.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails